The past 2 weekends were spent in the garden. Someone decided we need to fix our lawn. For a change the ‘someone’ with the bright idea was my husband, and not me. Our lawn consists mostly of wonderlawn, some weeds, a type of plant I only know as ‘suurtjies’ (Googled it now and looks like it could be Oxalis stricta) and a teeny bit of grass. We want a lawn with mostly grass.
Because the area was too big for poison we took out everything. A LOT more tiring than I thought it would be. The ground is very hard and it seemed that every time you put the garden fork in the ground you hit roots from the surrounding trees and plants.
We bought Berea (LM) grass seeds, and now we can only hope that it is not all eaten by birds. My other big fear is that 2 weeks from now it is covered in wonder lawn again, with no grass.
Here is a picture of the grass taken out. I just took a small photo with my phone because I was just too tired to fetch the camera. The little patches of grass in between were tests we did a while back to see if the Berea grass grows in our soil. And the area is a lot bigger than it looks on the photo.